Rest for the Test

Does success in academics depend on how much time you spend with your head on the pillow? From when we wake up in the morning, to when we go to sleep at night, we are busy with academics, sports, and social responsibilities. If students suffer from fatigue, then they won’t be able to perform at their best because they’re running on autopilot. It seems the time where humans need the most sleep is when they are getting the least!
Teenagers are far more susceptible to Fatigue because of the school system. Fatigued teenagers on the roads can be a threat to their own, and others’, safety. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that “Teen drivers who sleep less than 8 hours nightly are one-third more likely to crash than those who sleep 8 or more hours nightly.” Fatigued driving is distracted driving, which increases the risk for an accident.

The Sentinel Staff sent out a poll to determine how much sleep the St.Luke’s Students were getting. The results from the poll, taken by 97 students, showed that about 65% of the students go to bed at midnight or later. This poll tells us that a majority of students get between six and seven hours a night. Including the outliers, some students get as little as 3 hours, and as much as 9 hours. Emma Tregelles ‘17 claimed that, “I love sleep! No, but actually I am not a morning person. In the morning I cannot function! Like if I get under 6 hours, forget about it.” Emma is not alone. Janet Croft, a published scientist who studies teenager sleeping habits, says that classes “start at such an early time that most teens are essentially brain dead when they go to these early classes.”Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 9.40.56 PMScreen Shot 2015-10-13 at 9.41.13 PM

Lack of sleep occurs for some students who do sports after school until the late afternoon. This leaves them a small amount of time to decompress and finish school work. Often, the only way to complete this is to stay up late to make up for the time they spent doing sports. Ryan Murphy 17’ says, ““I actually get a lot of sleep, four five hours at least a night. I start my homework later because of football” Even at a high school level, sports and other extracurricular activities are very important to the student, and could become a priority over sleep.
The only solution for teenage fatigue is to sleep, but where are we going to find the time? Mr. Foley, member of St. Luke’s administration, says “In my opinion, in an ideal world, teenagers would not start class until 10. I don’t know how on earth we would ever make that a reality.” By starting the school day later, athletics would be on the fields even longer, which means there is still a deprivation of sleep. However, the teenage body has an absurd internal clock, resulting in teenagers getting sleepy at ten and eleven.

With all the activities competing for teenagers’ time, many of them suffer from a lack of sleep. This affects how well they are able to complete homework, and learn from their classes. A proper amount of sleep for a teenager is vital, yet few of them reach the suggested nine hours! With the modern understanding of teenagers’ sleep schedules, optimizing their time at rest would be ideal for teenagers to reach their full potential.

Mary Zech, Arts Editor

Posted by on October 15, 2015. Filed under School News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login