Two New Coaches Highlight a Bright Future for SLS Basketball

Both St. Luke’s basketball programs have appointed new leaders with the hopes of leading them to further success in both the FAA and NEPSAC leagues.

Greg Thomas and Drew Gladstone enter St. Luke’s with high reputations and both bring a new attitude towards player development in order to lead their respective teams to victory.

Greg Thomas, the new head girls’ basketball coach, comes from an impressive background as a player, coach, and mentor with a philosophy that will certainly be supported by the community.

Mr. Thomas played high school basketball at St. Joseph’s in Trumbull, going on to earn Division II All-American honors.  While coaching at schools such as Kolbe Cathedral and alma mater St. Joseph’s, he also worked with kids in Bridgeport by creating a summer program that taught life skills through athletic training.

Mr. Thomas, in combination with assistant coaches Jen Pokorney and Dave Parsons, brings St. Luke’s a high level of accomplishment and success and will certainly instill a winning attitude into the girls’ team this year.

The girls may have a lot of young faces, but don’t let that fool you about whether or not the team can make a run this season. Senior Hannah Smock and junior Kit Hamill make up the upperclassmen portion of the team, and they look forward to leading the team in spirit and skill.

Sophomore star Sydney Lowery highlights the team and hopes to use her ability to overpower opponents and lead  the Storm.  Fellow sophomore Seena Panagiotidis and freshmen players Bridget Dalton, Maya Klein, Elizabeth Laub, and Caroline Thompson provide support in numerous areas of the lineup.

Eighth graders Hannah Amendola and Jada Boggs, along with seventh grader Janelle Johnson, bring middle school power to the varsity stage.
On the boys’ side of the court, new coach Drew Gladstone brings in a high level of energy and success from both the college and high school levels. Mr. Gladstone played high school basketball in Greenwich, CT and New York, going on to play at DePaul University.

He then went on to become a special assistant for the Manhattanville College men’s basketball team.  Mr. Gladstone later co-founded and currently co-owns the High Rise Basketball Academy in Greenwich, helping to provide players with skill development opportunities through clinics, travel teams, and AAU spring teams.

Mr. Gladstone and assistants Evan Downey and Hakeem Hall hope to lead a team defeated in the semifinals of last year’s FAA tournament to even greater success this season.

The boys’ squad has a strong core of players from all grades and looks to have success in their quest for a championship.  Seniors Kevin Florio, J.B. Boggs, and Casey Zhu look to lead the squad in their final year at St. Luke’s.

A heavy dose of juniors make up a talented future for the Storm with Jordan Sechan, Jay Latta, Shannon Smith, Noah Schott, Johnny Hage, and Andrew Washer.  New sophomore additions Walter Whyte and Colin Meany as well as freshman Jonas Harper will provide a powerful force for the varsity squad this season.

Both teams are led by new coaches and strong players this season and both look to wreck havoc on the FAA this season. The SLS community is certainly looking forward to seeing the results!

Porter Bowman, School News Editor

Posted by on December 10, 2014. Filed under Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login