Unlocking Communicative Voices: CSPA Trip

On Monday, November 3, the staffs of the Sentinel, the Pendulum, and the Caduceus traveled to the prestigious Columbia University in New York City to attend the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s (CSPA) fall conference.  All three staffs attended numerous different sessions pertaining to their respective publications, and based on a general consensus, it was an overwhelming success!

The Sentinel staff attended sessions led by other high school newspaper advisors from across the country in areas such as news writing, website design, and editor skills.  The editors of school news, sports, arts, just 4 fun, world news, social media, and science were able to interact with fellow editors from other public and private schools from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.  They enlightened themselves about how they can help the Sentinel improve and innovate its print and online editions.

Columbia_University_College_Walk_Court_Yard_01

Columbia University – site of the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Fall Conference

The staffs of the Pendulum and the Caduceus took part in sessions related to creative writing and yearbook design, whichever focused more on their side of journalism.  As Maria Juran, a senior who is both a Sentinel staff writer and a Pendulum staff writer, told us: “We learned useful things about designing magazines and other creative aspects to benefit the literary publication.”  The plethora of sessions allowed those who attended to find something each time that would help them become a better member of their respective publications.

Advisors Mr. Foley, Mr. Flachsbart, and Mr. Pearce also attended the sessions with the staff writers; helping by attending sessions targeting advisers specifically as they help to build their already-accomplished leadership skills for each group.

The students were able to explore a bit of the city around Columbia for lunch, and we were able to appreciate what it was like to go from class to class on a college campus.  For a city such as NYC, the fact that a campus of grass fields and beautiful libraries can coexist in such a busy city was both fascinating and breathtaking.

Overall, the trip was a fantastic way to provide team-building activities for the three staffs and gave us the opportunity to develop our journalistic skills in pursuit of a possible career later on in life.

— Porter Bowman, School News Editor

Posted by on November 12, 2014. Filed under School News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login