A Rebound for Boys Varsity Basketball

After suffering a tough loss at Brunswick on Friday, January 11th, the Storm Boys Varsity Basketball Team led by Team Captain Sean Cullinane ’14 rallied for a win against the Hyde School the very next day. Playing at home in front of a large St. Luke’s crowd, the team sent the fans home happy with a close 53-51 victory. After playing three games last week, the Storm continue the journey toward the coveted FAA Championship.

The win on Saturday was an incredible achievement following a tough loss to Brunswick on Friday night. When asked about the game, Cullinane responded, “Our loss to Brunswick was not indicative of the rest of the season. We can still beat them, we just made too many mistakes on Friday.”

Captain Sean Cullinane ’14

Saturday’s game against the Hyde School was one of the closest, most evenly matched games St. Luke’s has played this season. The team was guided by young star Elijah Holifield ’15, who led the team in points with 17. Sean Cullinane also played a pivotal role in the Storm victory, scoring 16 points and adding three assists.

The game was constantly back-and-forth until costly turnovers caught up with the Storm. After the first half concluded, the Storm trailed by a score of 31-20. However after an influential pep talk by Coach Brian Kriftcher at halftime, St. Luke’s escalated their game in the second half.

Tying it with two minutes left thanks to clutch play by Holifield (12 points in second half), St. Luke’s would eventually take the lead with a minute to play. The team was able to hold off Hyde’s last effort and come away with the win.

The Hyde School, a boarding school located in Woodstock, CT, proved to be a strong and mentally tough team. Led by star forward Kenneth Grant (who scored 19 points), Hyde was able to challenge St. Luke’s for the entire game. Hyde, for a while, kept the Storm at bay due to their size and lack of turnovers.

So what does this win mean for the FAAs? The victory improved the team to a 4-5 record, just under .500. The Storm have already doubled their win total from last year, but that is not the ultimate goal. “Our goal is to contend and hopefully win the FAA tournament and also make some noise in the NEPSACs,” Cullinane said.

Next week is an especially busy one for the team, as they will play Masters on Wednesday followed by King on Friday and Hamden Hall on Saturday. The Storm encourages St. Luke’s students to support the team as the FAA race heats up.

Ben Decatur, Sports Editor

Posted by on January 15, 2013. Filed under Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login