Upcoming: Kurt Collins’s Visit to SLS

Coming up this Wednesday, January 16th, the Center for Leadership has a treat for the student body: serial entrepreneur Kurt Collins will be visiting St. Luke’s, and is bringing with him a bundle of learning experiences. Mr. Collins plans to give a Lunch & Lead session that day during Upper School Lunch, about which CFL Director Mr. Foley is very excited, saying that “Mr. Collins will help teach St. Luke’s kids the difference between entrepreneurship and leadership, two concepts often inaccurately conflated.”

Kurt Collins, founder and CEO of Enole

The rest of Mr. Collins’s stay at SLS looks to be equally fruitful. As one of the founders of the Hidden Genius Project, an initiative that provides technology mentorship for young black men in California, he is particularly interested in supplying leadership opportunities and skill sets to students of color and will speak to the Multicultural Student Union and the Black Student Alliance on these issues. In addition to this and a session with 7th and 8th graders on the culture of science, Mr. Collins also plans to teach the Introduction to Programming and Java classes. As the founder of Enole, a technological identification platform, Mr. Collins seems particularly well-suited for the job; Computer Science teacher Mrs. Johnson believes that “he’ll bring real-life experience into the classroom, allowing computer science students to know exactly what it means to be a programmer–what do they do? What are potential employees looking for in a programmer?”

The Sentinel is very excited to have such a multi-talented entrepreneur provide expertise in such a wide range of areas to the SLS community. After all, Mr. Collins is the exact kind of person the Center for Leadership wants to see in our student body: a true leader.

Alex Robertson, Editor-in-Chief

Posted by on January 14, 2013. Filed under School News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login