Mitt Romney Wins Iowa Caucus

The results of last night’s polling in Iowa are in: after a gruelling campaign, it appears the GOP is facing a three-way tie for the top spot in the 2012 race for the Republican candidacy. Former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney won the caucus, as expected by many analysts- and yet only by eight votes. Rick Santorum, former senator from Pennsylvania, is far more unknown and yet came within a hair’s breadth of taking the first Republican caucus. Ron Paul, who was expected to rank in the top two, instead came in at N0. 3, with 21.4% of the vote.

Candidates not doing so well have already stepped in regarding the “ambiguity” of the Iowa caucus results.

“You’ve got three people basically sharing a tie, and a whole lot of people  looking for an alternative,” said presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman (who finished with less than 1% of the total vote) said in an interview this morning.

The Sentinel will publish more analysis of these results, as well as student and political reactions to the surprising uptick of support for Mr. Santorum and Mr. Paul in Iowa, in the coming days.

Full results from Tuesday are as follows (with thanks to Google and courtesy of the Associated Press):

Mitt Romney

30,015 votes

24.6%

Rick Santorum

30,007 votes

24.5%

Ron Paul

26,219 votes

21.4%

Newt Gingrich

16,251 votes

13.3%

Rick Perry

12,604 votes

10.3%

Michele Bachmann

6,073 votes

5%

Jon Huntsman

745 votes

0.6%

Herman Cain

58 votes

0%

Buddy Roemer

31 votes

0%

No Preference

135 votes

0.1%

Other

117

0.1%

Sebastian Bates, World News Editor

Posted by on January 4, 2012. Filed under World News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

5 Responses to Mitt Romney Wins Iowa Caucus

1. Pingback: free 3d modeling software

2. Pingback: 대밤

3. Pingback: microsoft exchange mail

4. Pingback: sbobet

5. Pingback: hack instagram

You must be logged in to post a comment Login