“Share Your Shoes” at SLS

“Share your Shoes”, a charity program dedicated to donating footwear to the less fortunate, will be conducting a shoe distribution during this Holiday season. On December 9th, at St. Luke’s Lifeworks in Stamford, those involved in Share your Shoes will open a mock shoe store. Those in need of footwear will able to have their sizes taken by volunteers and will have an opportunity to choose a pair of well-fitting shoes, rather than simply receiving a random pair. Through donations received by the New Balance Store in New Canaan, the program has more shoes than ever before. Furthermore, thanks to the hard work of SLS senior Caroline Hopkins, St. Luke’s Lifeworks has received a grant for  $500 worth of socks.

This program began several years ago when New Balance partnered with Kids Helping Kids, an organization founded by SLS parent Jennifer Kelley in order to involve young adults in leadership and community service. Ms. Kelley visited St. Luke’s to discuss the event a few years ago and was met with great enthusiasm from the student body. Excited to help the less fortunate in a creative way, St. Luke’s students have been heavily involved in this project: those participating have helped to tag and sort donated shoes, as well as having worked to promote the event.

At the event the students will be measuring shoe sizes and helping the recipients find the best shoes for him or herself. These tasks will prove more challenging than those of previous years because of the increased number of donations, and that is why Share your Shoes is encouraging as many students as possible to come out on Friday, December 9th. For those who can’t participate in this program, but still want to be involved, will have another chance in the spring, when another event will be taking place. For more information about this event, contact Caroline Hopkins or look for the Share your Shoes event on Facebook.

Ian Corbet, Staff Writer

Posted by on December 5, 2011. Filed under School News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login